Wednesday 28 December 2011

Ghosttown!

After spending Christmas in Denmark I came back to London yesterday for a couple of days before spending New Years in Berlin. Somehow unexpected I found the city totally empty. No one in the Tube, at the stations or on the streets. Not even at Holborn which is usually on of the most busy spots. No stores or cafees were open. There was none of the usual buzz that I connect which London. No sound of neighbors, slamming gates in front of the house, sirens, cars, far less airplanes in the sky and no people in the streets.  

This day is one of the busiest days in Denmark. Everyone goes out grocery shopping thinking that otherwise they will famish. This is usually also the day the sale starts and people go exchanging their present and the lines everywhere are endless long, so the contrast really struck me.  Especially because I knew that Boxing day was the day before yesterday, and somehow thought London was already back to it's usual self after the holidays.

I am glad I got to see this side of London as well. It happens really rarely to see such a dramatical difference in a city. Though I from time to time dislike the business of London I am glad it is not like this everyday, however it is kind of nice to know that it is possible.



No comments:

Post a Comment