Tuesday 6 November 2012

Disappointment!

I normally don't write about bad experiences I've had or things that I would not recommend, but today I will make and exception.
Last night I went to see Bon Iver in Arena Halle, Berlin. I must admit I had high expectations. First of all I really love his music. Second I saw him this year at The Roskilde Festival, where he gave one of the most beautiful concert I have ever listened to. I managed to forget time and space around me and even shared a tear because I got so overwhelmed by the music.
So yes, expectations were high!
I even got a ticket for Vincent because I though it would be a nice event to see together. One we would be able to look back on with fond memories like many concert before, which we have shared.
What can I say? Maybe some music is not meant to be heard by an audience of 9000 people. Maybe Bon Iver has just become to big for himself? But then again, at Roskilde the concert was pretty successful, and he played for an audience about the same size.
I think Justin Vernon should consider getting himself a new sound engineer because the sound was in the end what ruined it for me. The image above (which is from the concert) pretty much visualize how the music sounded. Both bass and discant was turned up to the max, so all the beautiful middle-tones and details, which is what makes his music so beautiful disappeared.
Instead of a nine man ochestra he could have settled for himself, a drummer and a bassist.
Folk music is not the same as rock and I felt like it was trying to be a rock concert more than anything else. The only little bright moment was when he played "Stacks" left alone on stage with the three girl from the supporting act (The Starves) as a choir.
I didn't feel like applauding once and could not help but smile when a guy standing behind us actually buhh'ed. I had time to think about my day, my plans for tomorrow and all the things I am working on instead of being taking away by the music and the vibe. This is the first time I ever left a concert before the encore. I just didn't see any reason to stay for two more songs. In the end I came out and felt that I didn't only waste my money but also my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment